Thursday, August 31, 2006

Karaoke saves lives

At the moment I'm watching Alain de Botton discuss status-conciousness on a PBS show based on his book "Status Anxiety". His questions about spiritual richness, material wealth, and what people aspire to when pressured to want it all in a democratic society are poignant when considered from an educational perspective. What should we be teaching our children to want? Is it really OK to tell a child that he or she can be anything they want to be (like a pop star) when they may not have the tools to acheive that dream? Well, I don't know, but I am determined to do what I can to try to awaken the potentials of all the kids I work with, and I'd like to think that a kid might one day discover they're unique talent while they're singing a karaoke tune. Or not. Maybe they'll just have fun singing, and isn't that enough sometimes?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home